Login Register

Six week curfew for vicious domestic assault

By fsingleton  |  Posted: September 19, 2013

Nicholas Brooks has been sentenced to a six week curfew for assaulting his partner in Shepton Mallet by District Judge Maurice Champion, at Yeovil Magistrates Court

Comments (0)

A MAN who carried out a vicious attack on his partner pulling her head up by her hair as she lay on the floor has been sentenced to a six week curfew order.

Nicholas Paul Brooks had been arguing with the victim at her home in Shepton Mallet when he followed her round the house, refusing to leave when she asked him.

After putting her in a headlock he forced her head up causing pain to her spine and lifting her shoulder from the floor.

After assaulting her further the terrified victim managed to call a friend for help who turned up with her partner who was also punched in the head by the defendant.

Brooks, aged 42, of Crocker Way, Wincanton, was found guilty following a trial of assaulting Samantha Douel and Stephen Wilkinson by beating during the incident at Shepton Mallet on January 8.

Sam Jones, prosecuting, said that Brooks began to get aggressive and started shouting at Miss Douel at 7am and she told him she did not want him at the address any more.

He refused to go and followed her downstairs but despite her repeatedly asking him to leave he took her mobile phone and threw it across the floor.

“He then put her in a headlock, pulled her hair and forced her head up causing pain to her spine and lifted her shoulder from the floor,” he said.

“Miss Douel then bit the defendant in a bid to release herself from him but he grabbed her again and pushed her on the sofa which made her hit her head on a wall.

“She called her friend for help who came to the address with her partner Stephen Wilkinson but Brooks kept his foot against the door to prevent them from entering.”

The victim picked up a cycle helmet and hit Brooks with it until he let go and during the melee the defendant hit Mr Wilkinson in the head with a clenched fist.

When he was arrested by the police Brooks denied the assault on Miss Douel saying it had been her who was the aggressor.

He accepted hitting Mr Wilkinson in the head but claimed he had done it in self defence.

As a result of the attack Miss Douel suffered pain to her jaw and wrist and marks to her shoulder and upper arm while Mr Wilkinson received a black eye.

Defending solicitor Jeffrey Bannister said Brooks had now been to see his doctor because of depression and had been signed off sick from work.

When he appeared before District Judge Maurice Champion, sitting at Yeovil, he was sentenced to a six week curfew order and ordered to pay £150 compensation to each of the two victims.

He was also made the subject of a three year restraining order prohibiting him from contacting Samantha Douel other than through a third party for the purpose of child contact.

Read more from Western Daily Press

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters