Login Register

Four killed in accidents on region's roads

By Western Daily Press  |  Posted: December 23, 2013

By Jeff Wells

Four killed in accidents on region's roads

The scene on the M5 yesterday evening following a fatal accident Picture: Dave Lacey

Comments (0)

Four people have died in three days on the region's roads.

A motorist was killed and the M5 was shut yesterday evening after a crash on the northbound carriageway in Devon between junctions 27, for Tiverton, and 26, for Wellington, in Somerset.

The closure came after a serious accident shortly before 4pm. A car is reported to have left the motorway and gone down an embankment, ending up in a field. Police said the motorway was closed so collision investigators could examine the scene.

In Cornwall, emergency service personnel were offered counselling in the wake of a collision earlier yesterday in which a pedestrian was struck by two vans and a car. The incident was the first of two fatal crashes within a few miles and hours of each other on the A30 in the county. Police have confirmed that a man was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving after the first incident, which occurred on the A30 near Launceston.

Related content

A 38-year-old, who is believed to have been in the road, was killed after he was struck by two vans and a car on the eastbound carriageway at around 5.30am. The driver of a white Peugeot Boxer van who is in his 50s was arrested at the scene. He was released on police bail until March 12.

Two other drivers, a man driving a Mercedes van and a woman driving a Peugeot 106, also struck the pedestrian. All drivers were treated for shock at the scene. Sergeant Jane Corkhill, of the serious collision investigation unit at Devon and Cornwall Police, said it had been a distressing scene and those involved would be offered help.

The westbound carriageway of the A30 was reopened at lunchtime, while the eastbound section remained closed until after 6pm.

As that was ongoing, a further section of the main route through Devon and Cornwall was also closed by the second fatal accident – just miles from the first. This involved six vehicles; an Alfa Romeo and a Vauxhall Corsa are understood to have collided initially. Then, three cars travelling in the same direction swerved to avoid the incident and ended up on the opposite carriageway. A sixth vehicle then crashed into the central reservation.

A spokesman for Devon and Cornwall Police said one person had died as a result of the pile-up. Two people were airlifted to Plymouth's Derriford Hospital. He said the incident had taken place in "horrendous conditions" during an "unexpected" hail storm.

In Gloucestershire, investigations were continuing yesterday after a pedestrian died on the A435 near Cirencester. He was hit by an Audi on the verge of the Cheltenham Road, near Rendcomb, at 7.40pm on Friday night.

Two pedestrians were involved in the crash. One of them, a 43-year-old man from Rendcomb, was pronounced dead at the scene.

This crash takes the number of deaths on the A435 since 2000 up to 11. The other pedestrian, a 31-year-old man also from Rendcomb, was taken to Frenchay Hospital, Bristol, with multiple leg fractures and a suspected head injury. He is understood to be in a stable condition.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters