Login Register

Yeovil Town 3, Colchester United 1: Paddy Madden double ends Glovers losing run

By WGSweet  |  Posted: October 07, 2012

  • Yeovil Town 3, Colchester United 1. Photo by Mike Kunz

Comments (0)

Paddy Madden’s debut double ended Yeovil Town’s six-game run of defeats to earn their first points in over a month.

The Carlisle United loanee scored more goals in the first 34 minutes of the Glovers’ 3-1 triumph over Colchester United than he has done in 18 months with the Cumbrians.

Given a chance from the start of the npower League One clash, Madden gave his temporary team a 2-1 half time lead before James Hayter marked the midweek arrival of his daughter with the winner.

Victorious manager Gary Johnson said: “I was proud of them today. Everyone played their part, they all worked their socks off and we knew how important the game was.

Related content

“We had worked very hard in the week after the Portsmouth game (2-1 loss), we have been in all day every day yet they showed that they had their legs in the last few minutes.

“I am very pleased with them, very pleased with what they have done in the last week and hopefully we can try and carry it on. Certainly as of tonight I can sleep well because we have worked very hard as a team and a management team.”

Having fielded a 3-5-2 formation against Pompey, Johnson reverted to a 4-4-2 for Colchester’s second visit already this season, making three personnel changes.

Joe Edwards and Jamie McAllister returned to full back, while Ed Upson replaced Dom Blizzard in the heart of midfield.

With defender Byron Webster suspended, Sam Foley came in to start on the left wing and Madden partnered Hayter as striker Reuben Reid dropped to the bench.

With eleven minutes on the clock Keanu Marsh-Brown opened another lively performance by bursting into the box but screwed his shot wide.

Nine minutes later the Glovers led. Magnus Okuonghae’s poor clearance hit Hayter in the chest, inadvertently releasing Madden.

He squared for Korey Smith and when Hayter was unable to beat keeper Mark Cousins the Irishman was on hand to tap in from close range.

But the least last just five minutes as Colchester made the most of dismal defending to level. Upson was out-muscled in midfield and when Hinds’ last-ditch challenge from a cross only allowed Gavin Massey to recycle play, Jabo Ibhere pounced to tap in.

Edwards’ 33rd minute right wing cross found its way through to Foley at the far post and his first time effort possessed power but not accuracy.

Seconds later Madden went one better, attacking a loose ball in the U’s area and picking his spot in the goal with devastating effect.

The second half was barely a minute old when Smith’s 20-yard drive rattled the bar, before Brian Wilson did the same at the other end on 50 minutes.

Okuonghae’s mistake in the 64th minute meant Madden was clean through on goal but Cousins did well to get down and deny the forward’s hat-trick.

After 66 minutes Madden’s curling effort from 25 yards was fumbled around the post by Cousins before the visitors threatened to hit back on 75 minutes.

Home stopper Marek Stech dropped a cross and only Dan Burn’s and Richard Hinds’ brave blocks preserved Yeovil’s lead.

However, the game was put beyond doubt 12 minutes from. McAllister refused to give up a ball that seemed to be heading for a goal kick, crossing for Hayter to sweep home in predatory fashion.


Yeovil Town (4-4-2) - Stech; Edwards, Hinds, Burn, McAllister; Unused subs: Ayling, Blizzard, Williams, Reid, Stewart, Ralph.

Goals: Madden 20, 34, Hayter 78.

Bookings: Upson (foul).

Colchester United (4-5-1) - Cousins; Wilson, Okuonghae, Eastman, Rose; Massey (Sears 63), Wordsworth, Eastmond, Bean (Duguid 73), Watt (Henderson 78); Ibhere. Unused subs: Pentney, Heath, Morrison, White.

Goal: Ibhere 25.

Bookings: None

Ref: Steve Bratt (Walsall).

Att: 3,002.


Photos: Yeovil Town 3, Colchester United 1 - by Mike Kunz

Read more from Western Daily Press

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters