Login Register

Yeovil Town 3, Colchester United 0: Richard Hinds double sees Glovers through

By Western Daily Press  |  Posted: August 15, 2012

Yeovil Town 3, Colchester United 0. Photos by Mike Kunz

Comments (0)

Defender Richard Hinds proved an unlikely hero for Yeovil Town last night, netting twice in their first Capital One Cup win since 2008.

The Yorkshireman converted two first half corners against Colchester United before a powerful and pacy second half display sealed a 3-0 victory in the opening game of the season.

The Glovers have endured tough times in recent years in the League Cup, but their npower League One rivals had little answer to a potent performance from Gary Johnson’s men. Johnson kept faith in the XI that started against Exeter City in pre-season, handing competitive debuts to Jamie McAllister, Byron Webster, James Hayter, Reuben Reid, Sam Foley and Gozie Ugwu.

But it was one of the more familiar faces that broke the deadlock with just four minutes on the clock. Colchester failed to clear an Ed Upson corner and defender Richard Hinds drilled home on the volley from 12 yards.

Related content

Upson’s clearance after 15 minutes found its way through to Reid who raced clear of the last man but found his equal in U’s stopper Mark Cousins. The keeper was quick off his line and gained a vital yard on the striker. Colchester took until the 42nd minute to register their first chance, the previously quiet Anthony Wordsworth bringing a diving save from Marek Stech from 20 yards.

However, it was to prove a rare chance for the visitors in a one-sided first half as Hinds doubled his tally a minute before the break, powerfully heading Upson’s cross back across goal and into the top corner. United were almost given an unlikely way back in with seconds remaining of the period, Stech instinctively shooting out a hand to block Webster’s header.

The Glovers signalled their intent to take further control of proceedings on 69 minutes when Upson drove through midfield from inside his own half, exchanging a pass with Foldy before chipping to Reid. The striker’s first touch was poor and Cousins successfully blocked.

On 73 minutes Stech did well to gather Brian Wilson’s deep delivery and substitute Karl Duguid thumped over from 20 yards four minutes later. They were to prove Colchester’s final glimpses of Yeovil’s goal as home replacement Keanu Marsh-Brown marked his debut from the bench in style with 11 minutes left.

The Glovers’ pace on the counter-attack brushed aside their visitors and Marsh-Brown, having already superbly timed his burst to meet Reid’s ball, waited for Cousins to commit himself and exquisitely chipped him.

Cousins came to Colchester’s rescue by bravely blocking at Lewis Young’s feet following a one-two with Reid.

Nathan Ralph then tried his luck with a first time thunderbolt on 84 minutes, bringing a fine save from Cousins having been on the pitch a matter of seconds.

Yeovil Town Stech; Ayling, Hinds, Webster, McAllister; Ugwu (Young, 70), Upson, Blizzard, Foley (Ralph, 83); Reid, Hayter (Marsh-Brown, 70). Unused subs: Stewart, Haynes-Brown

Colchester United Cousins; Wilson, Okounghae, Eastman, Rose; Bond, Izzet (O‘Toole, 80), Wordsworth; Wright (Duguid, 57), Morrison, Henderson. Unused subs: Heath, Bean, White, Gilbey, Pentney

Goals Yeovil – Hinds 4, 44, Marsh-Brown 79

Ref Simon Hooper (Wiltshire)

Att 1,907.

Related content

Photos: Yeovil Town 3, Colchester United 0

Read more from Western Daily Press

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • variappli  |  August 24 2012, 7:32AM

    Great team performance. Gary seems to of got the blend just right. Unity amongst players looks spot-on. Impressive player from what I saw was Marsh-Brown when he came off the bench. Astute technical, explosive player.

    |   1