Login Register

Yeovil Town 2, Bury 1: Sam Foley nets winner for Glovers

By WGSweet  |  Posted: October 21, 2012

  • Yeovil Town 2, Bury 1. Photo by Mike Kunz

Comments (0)

Sam Foley scored his second goal in as many npower League One outings to condemn ten-man Bury to defeat as Yeovil Town huffed and puffed to victory.

The wide-man netted the all-important second Glovers’ goal at Huish Park to end a second half spell where the hosts had looked devoid of ideas how to break down opposition hampered by a numerical disadvantage for more than an hour.

Zac Thompson’s 28th minute red card for a two-footed lunge on Keanu Marsh-Brown failed to swing the game in Yeovil’s favour as they scraped a win from a clash that lacked quality.

Glovers’ manager Gary Johnson said: “Everyone knows that when a team goes down to ten men that they take a few more chances and you have got to make sure that you are spot on.

Related content

“We know where the spaces are but they know how to fill them when they have got ten men because they can go to 4-4-1 and they did it quite well when they had their best spell just after half time.

“We created quite a few chances and they are not an easy team to play against, especially as they haven’t won yet. But it is not our problem now, it’s the next team that they play. Who the first team is that they beat we will have to wait and see but we didn’t want it to be us.”

The boss made two changes to the side that beat Torquay United on penalties in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy, recalling defender Byron Webster ahead of Richard Hinds and dropping Reuben Reid to the bench to allow Paddy Madden’s return.

Leeds United loanee Dominic Poleon took 14 minutes to register the game’s first chance, finding Marek Stech’s gloves from distance.

On 20 minutes Bury keeper Trevor Carson flapped at Foley’s delivery from the left. The ball dropped for James Hayter at the far post but the angle proved too tight and he blazed over.

Eight minutes later tempers flared as Thompson – also on loan from Elland Road – was dismissed for the second time in just 13 senior appearances, upending Marsh-Brown and leaving him with an ankle knock that eventually led to his 47th-minute substitution.

Carson then ensured matters were made worse for the visitors, dropping a cross on 35 minutes. A Bury man attempted to clear but thumped against Webster who gratefully accepted his second career goal and first in seven-and-a-half years.

Eight minutes after the break Dan Burn could only head on Joe Skarz’s deep ball, but the unmarked Tom Hopper failed to keep his shot down.

Madden could have doubled the hosts’ advantage on 54 minutes, bursting through one-on-one at an angle. However, Carson’s out-stretched boot was enough to divert the shot for a corner.

The Carlisle United forward then attempted to inject life into a dull half after 70 minutes, skipping past two challenges and shooting over from the edge of the box.

But Bury drew level moments later thanks to more woeful Yeovil defending at a set-piece. Hayter kicked air rather than the ball at a corner and Poleon was on hand to convert.

Parity lasted just six minutes as the equaliser threatened to stir Yeovil to life. Foley climbed at the far post to meet Ed Upson’s corner, glancing home with what he later revealed to be his ear.

On 86 minutes Madden had a chance to put the result beyond doubt but drilled straight at Carson after patiently waiting for Upson’s square on the counter-attack.

With seconds left, substitute Mark Carrington could have salvaged a draw for Bury but could not beat Stech with his header.


Yeovil Town (4-4-2) – Stech; Edwards, Burn, Webster, McAllister (Blizzard, 75); Marsh-Brown (Williams, 47), Upson, Smith, Foley; Hayter (Reid 90), Madden. Unused subs: Hinds, Stewart.

Goals: Webster 35, Foley 77.

Bookings: None

Bury (4-4-2) – Carson; Doherty, Lockwood, Thompson, Poleon; Worrall, Schumacher (Sweeney, 62), Hughes (Jones, 88), Poleon; Hopper (Carrington, 58), Bishop. Unused subs: Marshall, Sodje, Healy, Belford.

Goal: Poleon 71.

Booking: Doherty (foul).

Dismissal: Thompson (serious foul play).

Ref: Stuart Attwell (Warwickshire).

Att: 3,386.


Yeovil Town 2, Bury 1 - npower League One

Read more from Western Daily Press

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters