Login Register

Yeovil Town 2-1 MK Dons: Paddy Madden double lifts Glovers up to seventh

By WGSweet  |  Posted: January 30, 2013

  • Paddy Madden celebrates with his Yeovil Town team mates after scoring in last night's 2-1 victory over MK Dons. Photo: Mike Kunz

Comments (0)

Paddy Madden's double enabled Yeovil Town to leapfrog ten man MK Dons to within a stone's throw of npower League One's top six.

The prolific front man scored in either half to move to seventh and close to within three points of the play-off spots.

Antony Kay's leveller came either side of Madden's strikes before the defender felled the forward off the ball to be dismissed with 28 minutes remaining.

With referee Mick Russell finally satisfied a damp Huish Park was playable, Johnson fielded the same starting XI that beat Sheffield United 17 days earlier. Joe Edwards was named amongst the substitutes alongside Crystal Palace loan debutant Kwesi Appiah.

The Glovers showed few ill-effects of going 17 days without a game as MK Dons had little answer to a commanding start from the hosts.

Matt Dolan was first to go close for Yeovil, forcing a fine block from keeper Dave Martim from the edge of the box on four minutes.

Two minutes later Shaun Williams failed to deal with Sam Foley's tricky delivery but Martin kept his composure to chest and thump clear.

Madden then headed straight at the stopper when he met Luke Ayling's hanging 12th minute cross.

The Irishman went one better on 26 minutes to give his team a deserved lead. He latched on to fellow countryman Kevin Dawson's intuitive centre, giving Martin no chance from just inside the box.

However, Dons were given an inexcusable lifeline on 35 minutes. Imposing centre half Antony Kay was left completely unmarked at a corner and he gratefully guided the ball into the net with his head.

Shifting Ryan Harley into a more advanced role gave the visitors an upper hand and only Byron Webster's supremely timed slide prevented the Brighton and Albion loanee a shot from 12 yards on 40 minutes.

Adam Chicksen's long range drive was parried by Marek Stech on the stroke of half time and Izale McLeod kicked thin air at the rebound.

Yeovil started the second period as they did the first, Ed Upson's deflected shot spinning agonisingly wide of the target within seconds of the restart.

But the home team were unable to create further chances until an off the ball incident changed the complexion of the game on 62 minutes.

Madden was pushed in the face by Kay and after both sides and dugouts reacted angrily, fourth official William Bull informed Mr Russell of what happened and Dons' scorer was shown a straight red card.

Eight minutes later Upson released Madden but the forward skied his chance when one on one with Martin.

With 12 minutes remaining Yeovil's sharp shooter showed his quality in front of goal, accelerating to meet Upson's beautiful near post delivery and glance in.

As MK Dons launched both the ball and players forward, Ayling did well to divert a cross that fizzed across goal on 90 minutes.

However, it was too little too late for the visitors as Johnson's men earned another valuable victory in their quest for the play-offs.


Yeovil Town (4-4-2) - Stech; Ayling, Webster, Burn, McAllister; Dawson, Upson, Dolan (Edwards, 60), Foley; Madden, Hayter (Appiah, 60). Unused subs: Hinds, Blizzard, G. Williams, Stewart, Young.

Goals: Madden 26, 78.

Bookings: Webster (foul), Madden (unsporting conduct), Dawson (time wasting), Appiah (time wasting).

MK Dons (4-4-2) - Martin; Otsemobor (Smith, 80), S. Williams, Kay, Lewington; Bowditch, Harley (Doumbe, 65), Potter, Chicksen; McLeod, Lowe (Lines, 31). Unused subs: Flanagan, Baldock, Alli, Ismail.

Goals: Kay 35.

Bookings: McLeod (foul).

Dismissal: Kay (violent conduct).

Ref: Mick Russell.

Att: 3,152.

Read more from Western Daily Press

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters