Login Register

Yeovil and Sherborne Ladies extend lead with win over Teign

By Western Gazette - Yeovil  |  Posted: November 22, 2012

Comments (0)

Not even a tricky pitch could deter Yeovil and Sherborne Ladies’ first team from beating their nearest rivals to climb six points clear of West Clubs Hockey League Premier Division 2B.

Teign’s visitors took little time to get off the mark when Sadie Watson pirouetted in the circle following a short corner and neatly beat the keeper. Another well-worked set piece then saw Steph Chant intercept a clearance on the far post and reverse stick into the corner.

Gallant blocks on the line by Libby Walters initially denied the hosts a way back only for the Devonians to draw level with a quick fire double shortly before the break.

Refusing to be drawn into a long ball game, Yeovil forged ahead from a third short corner, Debs Gemmell’s drag flick finding space and the target, taking a slight deflection on the way.

Georgie Belt’s skill made the game safe as she netted from an acute angle. Teign earned a late short corner of their own but Yeovil, inspired by stand out performer Izzy Cichoka, dug in to preserve their two-goal lead.

Table-topping Yeovil seconds’ clash with struggling Salisbury thirds went to the form guide as the visitors trudged back to Wiltshire on the back of a 5-0 thumping.

Eve Hill scored the first of her two after just three minutes, Natalie Beauford smashing a brace herself before the break. Keri Jones made it 4-0 shortly after the interval and Hill rounded off proceedings ten minutes from time. Yeovil third team lost 3-2 at Bournemouth fourths.

Yeovil and Sherborne’s men’s first string endured a tough trip to Taunton A, Chris Lines getting the consolation in a 5-1 drubbing.

Yeovil A came out second best in a hard-fought clash with Isca B, losing by the odd goal in five. The hosts’ slow start was punished by Isca’s opening goal. However, this stirred central defenders Tony Organ and Justin Barton, whilst Tom Soames, Nick Price and Carl Bason increased pressure on the Isca rearguard.

Strong play on the left wing from Gary Stickley and Graeme McKinnon created the equaliser before both Jonny Ireland and Alex Hardick came close to giving the home team a half time lead. However, Isca scored a second soon after the break. Hardick drew level again but Yeovil were left to rue spurned chances when Isca netted again.

Yeovil B have won two on the spin, as they held their cool to beat Sidmouth and Ottery C. Angus Owen converted Gareth Wanklin’s centre to level in the second half and Matt Chandler netted the crucial second.

Read more from Western Daily Press

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters