Login Register

Widower in his 80s dies in devastating house fire

By Western Daily Press  |  Posted: December 30, 2013

A resident, who was in his 80s, died in a  fire at his home in Westington, Chipping Campden

A resident, who was in his 80s, died in a fire at his home in Westington, Chipping Campden

Comments (0)

Neighbours have spoken of their shock at the death of a man in a Cotswolds house fire.

Named locally as Gordon Thompson, the pensioner died in his home in Westington, Chipping Campden.

Firefighters battled all day on Saturday to control the blaze, having been called to the scene at 7.31am. But nothing could be done for Mr Thompson, who was understood to be in his 80s.

His body was recovered from the two-storey property later that day.

Gloucestershire police said yesterday that this had not been possible for several hours due to the extensive damage to Mr Thompson's edge-of-town house.

The roof collapsed in the blaze, which police said was not being treated as suspicious. Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue Service said the building had suffered 75 per cent damage.

Next door neighbour Jennifer Sutton only discovered what had happened at the bottom of her back garden yesterday morning, as she returned from a break away for Christmas.

She said Mr Thompson had lived alone as his wife had died some time ago.

She said: "I knew him well. They moved here at least 14 or 15 years ago.

"He brought me a Christmas card last Sunday, before I went away on the Monday. He had some bad news as he had just been diagnosed with leukaemia but he already had 101 things wrong with him and didn't seem unhappy."

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES

 
 
 

MOST POPULAR