Login Register

Wells City Reserves shock Clutton to reach Somerset Senior Cup semi-finals

By GeraintTucker  |  Posted: December 09, 2013

Wells City Reserves

Wells City Reserves, in blue, on the way to victory at Clutton. PICTURE: Paul Ashton

Comments (0)

MATCH REPORT: Clutton 1, Wells City Reserves 3

Wells City Reserves turned the formbook upside down to upset Clutton and reach the semi-finals of the Somerset Senior Cup.

The high-flying hosts are challenging for the Somerset County League Premier Division title, while City lie mid-table in Division 2 West.

However, the visitors put in an excellent and gritty performance to book their place in the last four.

Assistant manager Julian Coppell said: “This was a top performance against a very good Clutton side, but once again we have proved what a good squad of players we have.

“This is the third Premier Division side we have knocked out of this cup so proves it is no fluke. We as a management team are really proud of the lads and that the hard work and effort does pay off.

“We’re back to league action this week with an away game at much-improved Worle, so we need to take the form into this game as well.”

Clutton started the game the brighter and hit the upright with a fierce strike inside the opening minute, while Wells keeper Mike Roper had to parry a shot over the crossbar on 12 minutes.

Moments later, the Clutton keeper dropped the ball at the feet of Darren Maynard but the striker’s chip went wide of the stranded stopper. Wells began to create chances and a free-kick from Olly Edwards forced the home keeper into a save.

However, Clutton went in front on 19 minutes when a deep cross eluded the defence and the ball was squared for Blue O’Connor to tap home.

This spurred City into action as Maynard and Edwards began to terrorise the Clutton defence. One such attack saw Maynard felled in the box and Dan Catley calmly dispatched the spot-kick to level the scores.

The Wells back four of Joe Grant, Liam Chant, Martyn Sheppard and James Russell dealt with the Clutton attack well, with Sheppard in particular getting the better of a personal battle with the home striker.

A precise through ball set Maynard on the attack after 39 minutes and another rash challenge gave City a second spot-kick, which was again converted by Catley to earn the visitors a half-time lead.

Wells came out in the second half with the bit between their teeth and took the game to Clutton, with Maynard blazing over five minutes in.

The home side began to get the ball down and show signs of why they started the day third in the Premier Division but the Wells back-line stayed strong, with the midfield four of Charlie Crook, Catley, Steve Emery and Olly Bryant also doing a fantastic job to restrict Clutton to long-range efforts.

Wells extended their lead after 65 minutes when a long ball found Maynard and he calmly finished past the advancing keeper for a deserved goal.

The hosts hit the post for a second time with a shot from the edge of the box but Wells responded by bringing on Fabio Ramos to inject renewed pace in the midfield.

Wells continued to perform heroics all over the pitch and brought Peter Vowles and Scott Hurley on in the closing minutes as they completed the victory.

Man of the match: Martyn Sheppard.

CLICK HERE to see a gallery of photos from the match.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters