Login Register

Tributes paid to "brave" policewoman Adele Cashman who died chasing theft suspect

By Emily_Koch  |  Posted: November 07, 2012

Adele Cashman

Tributes have been paid to a policewoman from North Somerset who died chasing a suspect.

Adele Cashman, a former Churchill Community School pupil, was an officer with the Metropolitan Police.

The 30-year-old was taken to hospital after collapsing in Camden on Monday night.

Britain’s most senior police officer, Met Commissioner Bernard Hogan-Howe, has been paying tribute to her bravery.

Related content

He said: “It’s a terrible tragedy for Adele’s family, it’s a terrible tragedy for her colleagues.

“Adele was an eager officer, she was in a crime squad, she was out there chasing criminals, which is I’m sure the reason she joined.

“She was out there being brave, getting stuck in, and then this great tragedy has happened. It is a terrible loss to everybody who knew her.”

"I understand Adele had just returned from holiday. Her family must be desperately sad, particularly her parents and obviously we will try to help them cope with the tragedy of losing their daughter but there is no easy way to do that.

"Fortunately, although it is a dangerous job we do not see officers die very often but when it happens we are shocked, as I'm sure the public are. The best thing we can do now is to make sure we look after Adele's parents and her friends."

Commander Tony Eastaugh said: "The thoughts of everyone in the Metropolitan Police Service are very much with Adele's family, friends and colleagues at this extremely difficult time. Adele worked on both Camden and Wandsworth boroughs and was held in high regard by all who met her - she will be sorely missed by everyone who had the privilege of working alongside her."

Detective Superintendent Richard Tucker, acting borough commander for Camden added: "Adele was a much loved and wholly dedicated officer. We at Camden, are completely devastated at her sudden passing and our thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends at this tragically sad time."

At 9.30pm on Monday, a 59-year-old woman had her smartphone snatched out of her hand in Haverstock Hill, London.

Two male suspects ran off and the victim started to chase them. Uniformed officers were on duty in the area at the time and saw the chase.

They chased the suspects and requested further officers to assist.

Officers from Camden Borough’s Crime Squad also attended.

The suspect ran off and two officers, including DC Adele Cashman, gave chase.

A 17-year-old suspect was arrested by one of these officers.

A second youth, also aged 17, was arrested nearby.

A phone was recovered.

The suspects remain in custody at north and central London police stations.

During the chase, DC Adele Cashman collapsed.

London Ambulance Service took Adele to the Royal Free Hospital, but she died at 11.10pm.

Adele joined the Metropolitan Police in 2006 and was stationed at Wandsworth Borough, where she worked as a PC.

She transferred to Camden in 2010 as a Detective Constable.

Read more from Western Daily Press