It’s that time of the year again when the night sky is lit up with colour as spectacular fireworks displays celebrate Guy Fawkes Night on November 5.
Somerset will host some dazzling displays on various evenings this week so, if you’re struggling to decide which one to go to, why not browse through our list of ten recommendations?
1) The Fireworks Extravaganza Charity Night at Yeovil Showground this Saturday night, November 5, is always a popular choice. Entry costs £6 for adults and £3 for children, and there’s also a family ticket available for £15. Organised by the Yeovil Lions Branch Club and Yeovil Round Table, this year’s display will have a Star Wars theme – Darth Vader, Royal Guards and Storm Troopers will be in attendance when the gates open at 5.30pm. There will also be a laser light show, rides, and food and drink.
2) The Westland Conference and Leisure Complex hosts its third annual Fireworks Extravaganza on Saturday night, November 5. The bonfire will be lit at 6.30pm, with the fireworks display starting an hour later at 7.30pm. Entry costs £5 for adults and £3.50 for children. A family ticket (two adults and three children) costs £15, and includes admission to the family disco from 8.30pm.
3) Taunton RFC are promising a dazzling night of family fun at their Fireworks Extravaganza on Friday, November 4. Entrance is £15 for a family ticket (two adults, two children), or £5 for adults and £3.50 for under-16s. Gates open at 7pm with a sparkler zone, and there will be plenty of food and drink on offer.
4) Weston-super-Mare’s Grand Pier provides a spectacular setting for a Bonfire Night display on Saturday, November 5. Doors open at 6pm and last admission is 7pm. Tickets cost £5 or £10. The £5 ticket includes a £5 ride voucher, while a £10 ticket includes a £10 ride voucher and a food voucher for a burger or hot dog.
5) Bath’s biggest fireworks display is organised by the city’s Rotary Club in collaboration with Bath University Students Union fund-raising group RAG, and takes place this year on Saturday, November 5, at Bath Rugby. Gates open at 7pm, with the fireworks starting at around 8.15pm. It costs £5 for adults and £2 for children. Students buying tickets in advance can get them for £2, or £5 on the gate. Bath will be playing a home game at the Rec in the day, so fireworks crowds won’t be admitted until the rugby crowd has dispersed.
6) The Grand Firework Display is always a central part of the Bridgwater Guy Fawkes Carnival celebrations, and this year’s spectacular will be held on Thursday, November 3. It takes place in St Matthews Field from 7pm.
7) The free Minehead Fireworks Festival gets under way at 4.30pm on Thursday, November 3, when Butlins opens the gates to its funfair for visitors to enjoy free rides. The fireworks display starts at 7pm, with rockets launched from Minehead beach. There will also be free parking at Butlins from 4.30pm.
8) The Dial Hill Fireworks Display in Clevedon celebrates its 50th anniversary with this year’s spectacular, to be held on Saturday, November 5, at Clevedon Cricket Club. Gates open at 6pm for children's funfair rides, the bonfire will be lit at 6:45pm and the fireworks display will start at 7:30pm. Tickets are £3 in advance or £4 on the night (if available). Family tickets are £8 in advance.
9) Gates open at 6pm for Nailsea & Backwell RFC's Bonfire Night fireworks display on Saturday, November 5. The bonfire will be lit at 7pm, and the fireworks will follow at 7.45pm. Adults cost £5 and children £3. There is also a family ticket for four available for £12.
10) Chard RFC will hold their annual Fireworks Celebration event at the club on Wednesday night, November 2. Entry is £5 with under-16s allowed in for free. Gates open at 6.30pm, and there will also be a barbecue and bar available.