Login Register

Sam Foley keen to continue Yeovil Town progress

By WGSweet  |  Posted: October 23, 2012

Sam Foley celebrates his goal against Bury on Saturday. Photo by Mike Kunz

Comments (0)

Attacker Sam Foley has no intention of resting on his laurels after admitting he has become a key member of Yeovil Town’s first XI sooner than he had expected.

The summer arrival from Blue Square Bet Premier outfit Newport County has been something of a surprise package at Huish Park, taking little time to settle into life in npower League One.

Although not ever-present, former Cheltenham Town youngster Foley has already made 16 appearances, scoring four times even though he has more often than not been deployed in a wing role.

The 26-year-old said he had taken considerable heart from his start to life in South Somerset and was now keen to progress further.

Related content

“At the start of the season I don’t think I would’ve said I would be starting every week,” he said. “Around about now I would have liked to have got in and around the team and to have made an impact.

“But to have started as many games as I have, I really didn’t expect. I knew I was capable of doing it so I can really kick on now and perhaps double what I have achieved now, maybe playing 30 games on the bounce.”

Foley was involved in all but one of Yeovil’s six consecutive defeats last month and has also made a key contribution to reversing that form.

He scored the Glovers’ second as they led 2-0 at Tranmere Rovers before losing 3-2 and netted the winner in Saturday’s 2-1 success over bottom club Bury.

With the alarming slump in results now behind them, Foley said there was no reason for Yeovil to be looking over their shoulders as they prepare for testing trips to Shrewsbury Town and Crewe Alexandra.

Foley said: “I think the momentum’s there now and if they had nicked a point from us that would have deadened it a bit for us.

“We are still in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy, everyone was looking at the FA Cup draw on Sunday and we have got that little bit of momentum where that bad run is now behind us and we can only look forward.”

Foley’s second half header proved decisive against the Shakers and admitted it ended a period of frustration for the hosts after their ten-men opposition had equalised.

“It was more frustration than heart in the mouth,” he said. “They pressurised us, I had a feeling we were going to let something slip and we did.

“We had more than enough quality and as soon as we conceded the goal we started to get on the ball and started to play how the gaffer (Gary Johnson) said he wanted us to do at half time.

“We got the goal ourselves and I thought we looked the better side, whilst they looked dangerous on the break.

“My job was to get on the keeper and stop him going for it and at the first corner in the game I stood on the keeper, nothing happened and I got a foul given against me.

“Then I did it again and got another foul given against me. The manager was shouting at me, I was shouting at the referee and thought he was taking the easy way out. I tried to do something different and for the goal I made a little dart, it fell to me and I flicked it off my ear

“It was a great feeling and a relief for everyone because Paddy Madden had gone through a couple of times and James Hayter had his little chip. The goal was a solid platform for the remainder of the game for us.”

Read more from Western Daily Press

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters