Login Register
 °

Restaurant fire stops walkers on famous street

By Western Daily Press  |  Posted: January 18, 2014

Firefighters were called  to the Thai by the Weir restaurant, near  Bath's famous Pulteney Bridge yesterday, after a fire started  in the kitchen

Firefighters were called to the Thai by the Weir restaurant, near Bath's famous Pulteney Bridge yesterday, after a fire started in the kitchen

Comments (0)

One of the most recognisable streets in the West Country resembled a film set yesterday as emergency services dealt with a fire at a Thai restaurant.

Paramedics treated one woman, thought to be in her 30s, for the effects of smoke inhalation after the blaze at Thai on the Weir restaurant in Argyle Street, Bath.

An Avon Fire and Rescue spokeswoman said the fire was believed to have started in the restaurant's basement kitchen.

The restaurant filled with smoke and four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the property.

When crews arrived on the scene they found what they call "a well-developed fire" in the five-storey building.

A small crowd gathered outside the restaurant and people were moved along to nearby Great Pulteney Street.

Nearby hair salon Sacco Martin was also forced to close and send clients to another salon because of the fire.

Last night, police were stopping people crossing the famous Pulteney Bridge, even on foot.

The bridge, which was built in 1774, is well know for having shops along it and is a popular landmark with tourists and locals alike.

Read more from Western Daily Press

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES