Login Register
 °

Portbury fury as pylon plan changed at last minute

By Western Daily Press  |  Posted: December 08, 2012

Peter Cooke says the parish council will not let National Grid split the village

Peter Cooke says the parish council will not let National Grid split the village

Comments (0)

Hundreds of people packed a public meeting in Portbury to object to plans by National Grid to change the route of a new overhead power line through the village.

Around 200 people were in the village hall to raise concerns after the energy giant made last-minute changes to its draft route.

Initially National Grid had planned to send the line – complete with 150ft pylons – over Caswell Lane, onto Portishead substation, behind the Portbury Wharf Nature Reserve and out towards Avonmouth. But in the draft route consultation, it has been changed so the line will follow the M5.

The line will effectively run between the village of Portbury and Sheepway, with the pylons just metres from homes at Elm Tree Park and Priory Road.

Portbury Parish Council has been working with National Grid for three years on a preferred route and had agreed the initial route.

Residents say the change will cut the village in half and are angry changes were made without any consultation.

Parish council chairman Pete Cooke said: “We need to persuade National Grid to go back to the route that we had already negotiated with them. We will not let them split our village.”

Linda Hale, also a parish councillor, lives in Priory Lane and her property will be just 300 metres from the pylons. She said: “We feel all the consultation with National Grid over the last three years has been pointless.”

Fellow Priory Road resident Tony Romanski, 55, who has lived in the village for 20 years, said: “We have been cheated. National Grid have just imposed it on us, with no consultation, and are trying to run roughshod over us.”

Parish councillor Valerie Marshall said: “This will be devastating for the village.”

National Grid project manager, Peter Bryant, said the new route was chosen because it was a shorter connection and would mean fewer, smaller pylons would be needed, reducing the visual impact. It was designed to avoid Priors Wood in the village and the nature reserve.

Mr Bryant said: “It is still a draft route and the whole route will be reviewed. I understand that people are upset and we are here to listen.”

Other residents raised concerns about a possible link between electromagnetic fields emitted by high-voltage cables and childhood cancers.

National Grid says the new 37-mile power line between Bridgwater and Avonmouth is needed to bring electricity onto its transmission network.

People have until December 18 to make comments on the draft route. National Grid will then consult on more detailed proposals before making a formal application for permission, to be decided by the Government after a recommendation from the Planning Inspectorate.

Read more from Western Daily Press

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES