Login Register

Paddy ‘Maddens’ MK Dons – A fans view

By Josh98  |  Posted: January 31, 2013

PLAY-OFF PUSH? Yeovil Town players celebrate with Paddy Madden after he scored his second goal of the game. The Glovers won 2-1 and this result lifts them to within three points of the play-offs with a promotion push now looking like a real possibility.

Comments (0)

FT score: Yeovil Town 2 – 1 MK Dons (Npower League One)
Stadium: Huish Park, Yeovil
Yeovil Town goalscorer/s: Madden 26', 78'
MK Dons goalscorer/s: Kay 35'
My Man of the Match: Paddy Madden (Yeovil Town) – Two more assured finishes by the Glovers frontman put MK Dons to the sword. He is a striker well in-form and has now totted up six goals in his last three games, with thirteen netted in just seventeen appearances for the Somerset side in Npower League One. However much Gary Johnson paid for him, he has got a bargain!
Referee: Russell 6/10 – The pitch was in remarkably good condition considering the heavy rainfall it had endured. Somehow the referee took an eternity to confirm the match was on after both Managers had expressed their wish for the game to go ahead. He also struggled to keep the game under control, but did do well to consult with his fellow officials after an off the ball incident involving Paddy Madden and Antony Kay (with the former seeing a caution while the latter was given his marching orders).
Attendance: 3,152

Yeovil Town managed to claim a crucial win on Tuesday night in this play-off six pointer, with both clubs trying to climb up the table in their bid to play Championship football next season.

MK Dons had recorded an extraordinary 4-2 win over QPR at Loftus Road on Saturday to further their FA Cup dream while Yeovil had not played competitively since their equally great win at Bramall Lane seventeen days ago, with Sheffield United being put to the blade.

Gary Johnson put his faith in the side he saw triumph against the promotion contenders last time out, naming an unchanged starting eleven. New loan signing Kwesi Appiah had to be content with a place on the substitute's bench.

The match kicked off with Yeovil controlling the opening proceedings and Matt Dolan having an early effort from the edge of the area which was easily saved by Dons keeper David Martin.

Yeovil were outplaying their opponents, passing the ball with purpose and desire to get forward. MK Dons on the other hand were just happy to volley the ball clear.

Sam Foley lifted a ball into the Dons penalty area which caused all sorts of problems. There was a mix up between defender and goalkeeper resulting in Martin having to control an unintentional back pass on his chest, under pressure from two Yeovil players, before clearing gratefully up field.

Luke Ayling then went on a rampaging run down the right, before cutting into the box and beating at least two MK Dons players until he was eventually muscled off the ball.

The chances were now racking up for Yeovil and both Paddy Madden and Matt Dolan had opportunities inside the box, but to no avail.

Dons defender Kay gave the ball straight to Sam Foley, who fed Paddy Madden only to see the shot creep just wide of the left hand post with the goalkeeper helpless.

McLeod had a rare chance for MK Dons, getting goal side of the Glovers defence, only to volley way over when he really should have done better.
It had been a bright start by the Glovers who were well on top and it looked like it was only a matter of time until they broke the deadlock…

It finally came on twenty-six minutes with a goal of real class, finished brilliantly by Paddy Madden.

The ball was crossed in from the right hand side by home debutee Kevin Dawson for Madden to volley home. Goalkeeper Martin did manage to get a hand to it, but he could only divert the ball further into the corner of the net.

The Dons responded by scoring from a corner that seemed to evade everyone apart from Antony Kay, who drifted in unmarked to plant the header past Stech to level the scoring.

MK Dons nearly gained what would have been an undeserved lead when McLeod showed great awareness inside the box to tee up Ryan Harley who looked odds on to score until Byron Webster, on a yellow card already, slid in with an excellent challenge to get the ball away.

At half time the teams went in all square, with Yeovil perhaps wondering how they were not ahead.

In the second half the game seemed more even. It needed a spark; a wonderful piece of play, a last ditch challenge or a red card…

Yeovil were on the attack when Paddy Madden seemed to go down near the half way line off the ball. The attack came to nothing and the referee was called over by the fourth official with Madden having treatment. Mick Russell then called MK Dons Kay over and gave him his marching orders; with both benches and sets of players quite animated on the touchline.

This gave the Glovers a man advantage which they exploited when, with twelve minutes left, they scored what turned out to be the winning goal.

A cross was laid in from the left hand side by Ed Upson for Paddy Madden to rise highest and head in his second of the game.

The remaining minutes were played out pretty comfortably by the Glovers to leave them just three points off the play-offs.

Yeovil have another crucial "cup final" coming up this Saturday as they host 3rd placed Brentford, looking to complete the double over their opponents after beating them 3-1 on their own patch earlier in the season.

Written by: Josh Wilde, Age 14 (Screen name: Josh98).

Read more from Western Daily Press

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters