Login Register

Glastonbury patient launched into a frenzy inside ambulance

By Central Somerset Gazette  |  Posted: November 09, 2012

A Glastonbury man who was taken to hospital after being found collapsed on the ground started kicking and punching out once inside the ambulance.

Robert John Godfrey was drunk when he started to become aggressive to a paramedic who was treating him in the back of the vehicle.

During the journey to Yeovil District Hospital he punched out damaging equipment on board until the ambulance had to stop and be taken out of service.

The police were called.

Godfrey, aged 45, of Beckery, pleaded guilty to damaging an ambulance blood pressure machine and equipment of an unknown value belonging to South Western Ambulance Service at Street on October 13 when he appeared before South Somerset and Mendip Magistrates.

Prosecutor Gordon Richings said that an ambulance crew was called to the King William Inn in Glastonbury just after midnight following reports of a male who had collapsed outside.

“Two paramedics attended the scene and were directed to Godfrey who was now standing and urinating against a wall,” he said.

“He was put into the back of the ambulance and agreed to be examined and while on the way to Yeovil he became aggressive and started shouting at the paramedic.

“He was heavily intoxicated and while driving on the A39 started punching and kicking out at the ambulance causing damage to a blood pressure machine and other equipment causing the ambulance to be taken out of service.

“The crew pulled over and requested police assistance.

“But Godfrey continued to punch and kick the vehicle and he was arrested.”

Jeffrey Bannister, defending, said it was a very unpleasant incident for the paramedics to have to deal with but said that Godfrey had been suffering from mental health issues.

“He remembered speaking to the paramedics when they arrived and getting into the ambulance but does not remember much more,” he said.

“He then came round and found he was strapped down in the ambulance and went into panic mode and reacted in the way he did.”

The magistrates adjourned the case until November 26 for a pre-sentence report to be prepared and in the meantime released Godfrey on unconditional bail.

Read more from Western Daily Press