Login Register

Frome man's search to thank girls who saved his life after freak accident

By Somerset Standard  |  Posted: September 20, 2012

Alec Vearncombe of Frome wants to thank the two teenage girls who saved his life

Comments (0)

A Frome man who was seriously injured in a freak accident is desperate to find the two teenage girls he credits with saving his life.

Alec Vearncombe, of Critchill Road, Frome, had borrowed his daughter Laura’s automatic car on the day of the accident last month.

He had been to her house to pick up her dog until she finished work.

But as he put the car in reverse to drive home, he thought he heard a strange noise and opened the car door to have a listen.

He put his right foot on to the ground, but as he did so, his right foot slipped and hit the accelerator.

The next thing he knew he had been dragged underneath the car in a foetal position and was trapped against a wall and the car.

But to make matters even worse, the automatic car was putting an immense amount of pressure on him as it was still in gear, pushing him further against the wall.

Mr Vearncombe, 61, said he was fully conscious but was in an incredible amount of pain.

He said: “I was fully aware of what had happened and my first thoughts were whether anyone would find me.

“It must have been ten minutes or so before I heard some girls walking past.

“I managed to shout to them to help me and one of them turned off the engine, which was a massive relief and the other one I think went and dialled 999.”

Within minutes, paramedics and the fire service were on the scene trying to free Mr Vearncombe, who owns a taxi firm.

After a 45-minute rescue operation he was rushed to Bath’s Royal United Hospital and treated for multiple rib fractures and a punctured lung.

He said: “The emergency services were incredible. I had to be administered morphine due to the immense pain I was in and by this time, my son-in-law, Paul, came home from work and was able to let my wife, Margaret know what had happened.”

Mr Vearncombe spent a week in hospital and is now at home, but it will be another few months before he is fully recovered from his ordeal.

He said: “As I had broken all of my ribs, the hospital could only give me painkillers, to help me breathe and cough.

“There was a worry about getting a chest infection but I was allowed home after five or six days. But I am nowhere near recovered – it could be up to 12 weeks.”

But Mr Vearncombe has said the two girls wandered off after the paramedics arrived and his would dearly like to find them so he can say a big thank you for their help.

He said: “I don’t want to sound too dramatic but if it wasn’t for their help, I may not be here today.

“I want to thank them personally for saving my life.

“I think I am fairly fortunate to be alive today.”

Do you know the two girls who came to Mr Vearncombe’s rescue or are you the parents of the two girls? We’d love to hear from you so we can put them in touch with Mr Vearncombe.

Telephone reporter Claire Wilson on 01761 417778 or email c.wilson@westnews.co.uk.

Read more from Western Daily Press

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters