Login Register

Frome Town beaten by St Albans City in Evo-Stik League Southern Premier Division

By GeraintTucker  |  Posted: February 21, 2013

Frome Town lost 3-0 to St Albans City

Comments (0)

MATCH REPORT: Frome Town 0, St Albans City 3

Frome Town were beaten by an impressive St Albans City side at the AlderSmith Stadium last night.
The organised visitors never looked like conceding after taking a two-goal lead early in the second half and added a third goal at the death.
Frome started brightly enough  and the first half-hour saw them take the game to St Albans, with the forwards creating chances around the box but the final touch eluding them.
A good fifth-minute run on the left by Darren Jefferies set up a chance Matt Smith, who then forced St Albans keeper Nick Jupp to turn a shot round the post.
Jefferies did well to break into the box on ten minutes but his low cross ran agonisingly across the area with nobody on hand to poke the ball home.
With Frome making most of the running, St Albans rarely broke away, but when they did there was a hint of quality as they rapidly got players forward to support the move.
Their first real attack led to a goal as a shot from Josh Urqhart was deflected for a corner, from which Chris Seeby produced a peach of a volley from the edge of the box that gave Frome keeper Darren Chitty no chance.
The Robins continued to threaten as Ricky Hulbert combined with Smith to produce a great chance that was foiled by a last-ditch tackle, while a fine ball from Hulbert set up Mike Perrott but his weak effort was easily saved.
Frome's best chance to equalise came on the stroke of half-time when a clever Luke Ballinger free-kick found Perrott on the penalty spot but his flicked header went straight at Jupp.
Dave Gilroy replaced the injured Mark Cooper at the break as Frome played with two recognised strikers but St Albans doubled their lead after five minutes when a cleverly-worked corner gave Chris Henry a shooting chance on the edge of the area and his spectacular curling shot found the top corner.
St Albans started to show their quality and seemed to be able to attack and defend in numbers at the same time.
Ballinger managed to get to the dead-ball line and hit a great deep cross in the 76th minute but Josh Brigham could not quite get a good contact on it, while Lloyd Matthews produced a good turn and shot but could not hit the target.
St Albans always looked dangerous in the second half and their third goal came four minutes into injury time when a mix-up on the edge of the Frome box saw James Comley win the ball in a challenge with Chitty, leaving him with a simple finish.
The  H&B Tyres Man of the Match award was presented top Matt Smith by Bo Vincent, who sponsored the match ball.

Read more from Western Daily Press

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters