Login Register

Family say student Ali Bunney may have died of cold walking home to Gloucester from night out in Cheltenham

By Western Daily Press  |  Posted: February 14, 2014

Ali Bunney, third right, with his father Nigel, mother Marissa and brother Jefferson

Comments (0)

A university student walking home from a night out might have died from the cold, his family have said.

Ali Bunney, 20, was found unconscious at the edge of Gloucestershire Airport, near Cheltenham, on the afternoon of February 9 and despite every effort to save him, he died later that day.

His family believe he might have tried to walk to his home in Gloucester from a night out in Cheltenham and, wearing only trousers and a shirt, succumbed to the cold.

Mr Bunney, who was due to turn 21 later this month, was an economics and accounting undergraduate at Cardiff University.

His younger brother Jefferson paid tribute to him on Facebook.

“It’s still a shock and we’re all still in disbelief, but whether you know him well or just know of him, I’m sure you all have at least some fluffy memory of Ali to keep,” he wrote.

“Although we had our fights and aren’t as close as we were as kids, there has always been something that I could only talk to him about.

“I couldn’t thank him enough for everything I’ve learnt from him, being two years behind. He was always first to jump in, for me to follow, he could make me laugh when I least expected, he always cares and he’s the best at motivating me.

“I’m so confused... Why you Ali? Too fast, too soon man! I really wanted to see him turn dreams into his future.

“I wouldn’t have told him – but he’s a massive part of my life. He was there from the beginning and over the last 19 years, he’s been the most influential person in my life...

“I’m sure he knows this anyway! We’re lucky to have made so many memories together but I would do anything for one more minute to talk to Ali right now, as the down to earth person he is, with a massively cheesy smile.”

Mr Bunney’s mother Marissa said: “We can’t believe what’s happened.”

A Gloucestershire Police spokesman said: “His death is not being treated as suspicious and a file is being prepared for the coroner.

“He was found near Gloucestershire Airport at about 2pm on Sunday. Airport staff tried to resuscitate him and he was taken to hospital but sadly died later.”

Read more from Western Daily Press

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters