Login Register

Donny pay price for missed opportunities – A fans view

By Josh98  |  Posted: February 24, 2013

PADDY POWER: Yeovil Town’s hotshot Paddy Madden celebrates scoring his eleventh goal in only eight league games. The ex. Carlisle striker has now broken a club record by scoring in eight consecutive league one games and helped the Glovers continue their unbeaten run in 2013. Photo by Mike Kunz.

Comments (0)

FT score: Doncaster Rovers 1  –  1 Yeovil Town (Npower league one)
Stadium: Keepmoat Stadium, Doncaster
Doncaster Rovers goalscorer/s: Paynter 45'
Yeovil Town goalscorer/s: Madden 6'
My Man of the Match: Rob Jones (Doncaster Rovers) A towering presence at the back and the defensive lynchpin that held Doncaster together. He marshalled the back-line well and could do nothing about the goal they conceded. A very solid performance by the seasoned veteran, only to be dented by his bad miss at the other end in the second period and his unnecessary  altercation with Yeovil's Ed Upson near the end.
Referee: Ilderton 3/10 – In a word, awful. He somehow didn't give Rovers a stonewall penalty in the second half when Yeovil goalkeeper Marek Stech clearly bundled over Doncaster's David Syers. Ilderton also missed a number of fouls and didn't stop the game when Yeovil striker James Hayter was obviously injured (and ended up getting stretchered off) and again he didn't take any notice when Glovers Captain Jamie McAllister (who also had to be substituted) was hurt. He was probably the poorest referee the Glovers have had this season.
Attendance: 6,356

Honours even in this top of the table clash, with Yeovil striker Paddy Madden breaking a club record by scoring in eight consecutive league one games.

It only took the ex. Carlisle frontman six minutes to make an impact, netting his eleventh goal in eight league games after Donny goalkeeper Gary Woods fumbled from a Jamie McAllister free-kick and Madden stole in to put the Somerset side ahead.

Unfortunately, Yeovil seemed to fade after their early goal and it was Rovers doing all the pressing, forcing some good saves from Glovers stopper Marek Stech.

Then came the first point of real controversy, with Yeovil defender Luke Ayling absolutely taken out by Donny defender James Husband's late challenge: the result, a yellow card.

The half was drawing to a close and despite Doncaster's nearly incessant pressure, they hadn't managed to find a way through the Glovers resolute defence.

That nearly changed when Billy Paynter had a glorious chance to get the game back to level terms…

Husband burst into the box after a quick long throw-in caught the Glovers unaware and crossed a ball to the back post where Paynter was waiting. The former Leeds forward was given a free header a couple of yards out, only to somehow fluff his lines and divert the ball onto the upright, with the follow up put over. I think even I could have scored that and I am sure all Yeovil fans (me included) breathed a sigh of relief when that effort did not go in.

However, he did make up for his terrible miss by bringing the score all square on the stroke of half-time…

Cotterill delivered a corner from the right hand side that was directed towards Paynter. The Rovers forward again had time and space in Yeovil's penalty area and this time made no mistake.

At the interval it was honours even, with the second half showing more of the same; Yeovil getting men behind the ball and Doncaster having the majority of possession.

Rovers had more chances to go ahead, including a Rob Jones chance which he really should have converted and a Coppinger overhead kick that went just wide.

Gavin Williams had a rare chance to put Yeovil ahead when he seized on a poor back pass but could only put it wide with the goalkeeper advancing.

Up the other end, a long throw-in by Donny saw Marek Stech fail to collect the ball and then seemingly bundle over Syers for an obvious penalty. Somehow though, the referee didn't give it.

Ed Upson and Rob Jones then had an altercation by the corner flag, with lots of pushing and pulling going on from both sides. I expected both players to receive cautions, yet the referee, like he had done all afternoon, felt that not making a decision was the best option.

Injuries to two key Yeovil players: James Hayter and Captain Jamie McAllister meant that the Glovers had to endure six minutes of stoppage time. However, they held out and now look forward to another long trip to Colchester - who had five knocked past them by Tranmere last time out.

Tuesday's match away at the Colchester Community Stadium could prove crucial come the end of the season as it is a great opportunity to knock in a few goals and push up the Glovers goal difference.

Footnote: I just have to mention about the great support the players received in Doncaster. It is a very long trip to the Keepmoat, yet over 300 fans made the journey north and helped cheer the lads on to a good point away from home.

Written by: Josh Wilde, Age 14 (YTFC season ticket holder - Screen name: Josh98).

Read more from Western Daily Press

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters