Login Register

Couple's heartache at baby pictures theft while child fights for life

By Western Gazette - Yeovil  |  Posted: December 06, 2012

  • Shell Lawrence at St Michael’s Hospital in Bristol, where her six-week-old son Jenson is fighting for his life in intensive care. Precious photos of Jenson were stolen from the Yeovil home of Shell and her husband on Monday

Comments (0)

A Yeovil couple are heartbroken after pictures of their gravely ill baby were burgled from their home.

The raid happened when Shell Lawrence, 31, was taking an overnight break from a vigil beside her six-week-old son Jenson’s hospital bed.

She was upstairs in the family’s home in Freedom Avenue with three-year-old daughter Macy when a thief struck at around 7.30am on Monday.

As well as precious photographs of Jenson, a Dell laptop computer, Fuji Finepix camera, video camera, iPad and £80 in cash were stolen.

Mrs Lawrence said: “I can’t believe it, I’m absolutely devastated. I just don’t need this when I’m trying to look after my sick baby.

“I didn’t hear anything. It wasn’t until I came back from the school run and started getting my things together to go to Bristol I noticed my handbag was missing.”

Baby Jenson was born with respiratory problems at Yeovil District Hospital on October 23. The next day he was transferred to Yorkhill Children’s Hospital in Glasgow by air ambulance – one of four hospitals in the UK able to provide the specialist treatment needed to support his lungs.

Three weeks ago Jenson was moved to St Michael’s Hospital, in Bristol, where he remains critically ill in intensive care.

Since then, he suffered complications when a blood clot in his neck caused his tiny body to swell to twice its previous size.

Mrs Lawrence, who lost her first child in a cot death in 2007, said: “Jenson is fighting for his life. The most important thing for me is getting the baby better.

“They don’t really know why this is happening, it’s like his lungs aren’t properly developed.

“We came back to Bristol thinking we just have to wean him off the ventilator.

“But he developed a blood clot on his neck. He also developed fluid on his lungs and he had trapped air which caused him to have a collapsed lung.

“He’s still on a ventilator and still on lots of drugs.

“Hopefully we will have no more setbacks. Fingers crossed he will now make a recovery but we are definitely not out of the woods yet. We just have to carry on. It is like you’re on auto-pilot. We’ve just got to get on with it even though we don’t feel like it. We can’t lose another child.”

Police are investigating the theft and have appealed for anyone with information to contact them.

Detective Constable Scott Holland said: “The property taken contained some precious and irreplaceable photos of a newborn baby. The victims have enough to reckon with caring for an unwell baby without this theft compounding their misery.

“I would ask the person who took the equipment to examine their conscience and find a way to return the stolen property to us.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact DC Holland on 101.

Read more from Western Daily Press

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters