Are you struggling to find inspiration for possible Christmas gift ideas for the man of the house? It’s not as difficult as you may think, and there’s a tremendous variety of choice offered by Somerset’s shops.
They say the best way to a man’s heart is through his stomach, but you’ll find more than just food and drink present ideas in our top ten Christmas gift ideas for men in Somerset.
1) Beales has a large selection of quirky men’s Christmas gifts available to suit a wide range of budgets. For something small and fun, you can find wine bottle holders and novelty corkscrews from just £10, or stainless steel cocktail shakers for £20. For something more special, air hockey and table football games start at £129.
Beales, 23-25 High Street, Yeovil, Somerset BA20 1RU. Telephone: 01935 444444.
2) With so many shops to choose from, a visit to Clarks Village at Street in the build-up to Christmas is a must if you’re looking for gift inspiration. There’s so much to choose from, but why not pop in to one of the many surf shops such as Billabong or Fat Face? Not only will you find popular clothing ranges, but also some great little men’s accessories such as leather wallets, sunglasses and toiletries.
Clarks Village, Farm Road, Street, Somerset BA16 0BB. Telephone: 01458 840064.
3) The summer cricket season may seem a long way away, but Somerset County Sports in Taunton is a great place to visit if you’re shopping for someone who is sports-mad. By Christmas, the football and rugby seasons are already well under way, so why not get your loved one prepared for the cricket season? Not only do they sell replica England and Somerset CCC clothing, but there’s also a great selection of cricket kit, equipment and books. If you can’t get to Taunton, don’t worry… their website www.somerset-countysports.com has all items available for order.
Somerset County Sports, The County Ground, St James Street, Taunton, Somerset TA1 1JT. Telephone: 01823 337597.
4) If his car’s his pride and joy, Halfords will give you hundreds of potential gift ideas for your male friend or relative, no matter what the budget. From all the latest car cleaning equipment and accessories to more expensive ‘toys’ such as sat-nav systems, Halfords is bound to provide that spark of inspiration. Also, you won’t have to travel too far… there are Halfords to choose from in Wells, Yeovil, Frome, Taunton and Bridgwater, among others.
5) Maybe the man of the house is keener on two wheels than four? If cycling is his hobby, Somerset specialists Bicycle Chain will cater for your every need. With stores in Bridgwater, Taunton and Weston-super-Mare, The Bicycle Chain has a huge selection of bikes for sale. If your budget doesn’t stretch that high, you’ll find a great choice of maintenance and safety equipment, accessories and kit.
The Bicycle Chain, Salmon Parade, Colley Lane, Bridgwater, Somerset TA6 5PY. Telephone: 01278 423640.
6) If two or four wheels don’t cover it, why not take to the air and consider the museum shop at the Fleet Air Arm Museum for Christmas gifts? Not only does it sell museum gift vouchers and season tickets, but there is also a range of aviation merchandise for sale including books, artwork, models and clothing.
Fleet Air Arm Museum, RNAS Yeovilton, Ilchester, Somerset BA22 8HT. Telephone: 01935 840565.
7) If the man of the ‘house’ actually spends more of his time in the garden, you should pay a visit to Lanes Garden Shop at Ilminster. There’s a fantastic selection of garden products available, from decorations and furniture to bird tables, animal feeders and outdoor clocks and thermometers. Get some ideas by browsing the website store at www.gardenshopsomerset.co.uk.
Lanes Garden Shop, Lanes, 17 Silver Street, Ilminster, Somerset TA19 0DH.
8) If all else fails, then you can always resort to booze to keep the man of the house happy at Christmas. West Country Ales has a range of real ale gift packs available to order from its Cheddar shop and its website www.westcountryales.co.uk. Popular gift packs include a box of three bottled beers, or bottled ale with special branded pint glass.
West Country Ales, The Cliffs, Cheddar Gorge, Somerset BS27 3QA. Telephone: 01934 742435.
9) Wine, cheese and biscuits are always a popular Christmas treat, and The Cheese and Wine Shop at Wellington ticks all three boxes… plus many more. Get an idea of the products available at www.thecheeseandwineshop.co.uk where you’ll find everything from chocolate and confectionary to the popular Somerset cider brandy!
The Cheese and Wine Shop, 11 South Street, Wellington, Somerset TA21 8NR. Telephone: 01823 662899.
10) Most men enjoy a good ‘ruby’, so a visit to Red Hot Chilli People may provide a gift idea to help him prepare his own curry night! It’s predominantly a mail-order company through website www.redhotchillipeople.com but also has a small shop at its base in Glastonbury. It stocks a wide range of spices… perfect to get your friend or relative experimenting in the kitchen with Thai or Indian curries!
Red Hot Chilli People, Market Street, Glastonbury, Somerset BA5 2DS. Telephone: 01458 830398.