Login Register

Chris Wood's Wales Open hopes come to watery end at Celtic Manor

By GeraintTucker  |  Posted: June 03, 2012

Chris Wood

Comments (0)

Two visits to the water in an otherwise solid final round cost Chris Wood a top-ten finish at the Wales Open.
After a disappointing three-over-par third round seemed to have put an end to any hopes of victory, three birdies in the opening six holes on Sunday brought Wood back into contention, knowing that a couple more birdies could give him an outside chance.
However, the 24-year-old from Nailsea was undone by a double bogey at the par-three 13th and was denied an under-par finish for the tournament after his ball span back into the water at the par-five final hole.
The good news for Wood is that the back injury which nearly forced him to pull out of the tournament appears to have cleared up, giving him the chance to build on a largely successful week at Celtic Manor when he goes to the Nordea Masters on Sweden, which starts on Thursday.
"It's been one of those weeks where I'm glad just to have finished solidly," he said.
"I'm just glad that I played, I can't get my head round how good my back feels compared to Wednesday night.
"The problem that I had has pretty much cleared up, all the painkillers and treatment have helped an awful lot.
"I played quite nicely again today, hit a lot of good shots like yesterday. I actually thought I played as good if not better than my playing partner yesterday but he shot three under and I shot three over. Today I didn't hit the ball quite as well but got it round well."
Wood started his final round with two pars before successive birdies at the third and fourth holes took him to two under for the tournament, five off the overnight leaders.
After another par at the fifth, Wood holed a long putt at the next to go three under and, with patchy rain and wind making life difficult at times, he appeared to have the chance to set a good clubhouse target.
He created birdie chances of varying distances at each of the next five holes but could not take advantage and had to produce a good up-and-down to par the 12th.
His round then took a turn for the worse as his tee shot at the par-three 13th came up well short and found the water, ultimately costing him two shots.
He pulled one of them back at the 15th, only to drop it at the next hole, leaving him still one under par for the day and the tournament going up the last.
Taking no risks, he left himself a short lay-up for his third shot and landed it on the green, only for it to bite quickly and spin back towards the edge of the green with just enough pace to take it on to the slope and down into the pond.
An excellent shot from the drop zone left a short putt to restrict the damage to a bogey, which meant Wood finished on level par.

Read more from Western Daily Press

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters