Login Register

Cheddar smash, chopper called in

By cfayfineran  |  Posted: December 12, 2013

Cheddar smash, chopper called in

Cheddar smash, chopper called in

Comments (0)

POLICE launched a helicopter -borne hunt for two people who fled an overturned car between Cheddar and Draycott on Friday night.

After the red Rover car turned turtle outside Cheddar Garden Centre, the driver and a passenger abandoned their vehicle and left the scene, and have still not come forward.

Moments later a 4x4 crashed into the overturned Rover, and the driver was trapped in his damaged Vauxhall Monterey.

Police at the scene called in a helicopter equipped with infra-red night surveillance equipment to track down the two missing people from the Rover.

Cheddar firefighters who earlier had been collecting money for charity at Festive Night had to clear up the remains of the two vehicle smash.

The incident happened at around 9.45pm, when the Rover careered up an embankment and flipped over before coming back down and landing on its roof and the 4x4, travelling in the opposite direction, ploughed into the car.

Firefighters who were called to the scene found the overturned vehicle abandoned by its two occupants.

A police helicopter from Filton was called into action to try to find the passenger and driver of the vehicle, without success.

In the 4x4, all but one man had been freed.

He was suffering from back pains, and was considered to be ‘medically trapped’.

A spokesman for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said: “Because of injuries, the man was unable to get out of the vehicle unassisted.

“The door of the vehicle was removed to allow the man to be freed from the car.”

One fire crew from Cheddar was sent and an extra fire engine and crew was summoned from Wells fire station.

A spokesman for the police said: “At 9.38pm on Friday we were informed of a collision on Draycott Road in Cheddar.

“Two cars had overturned and blocked the road.

“One vehicle ended up on its roof blocking the road.

“The A371 was closed while the emergency services dealt with the incident and cleared by 1.50am.

“The two people in a red Rover left the scene before we could speak to them.

“The helicopter was used to search the area for them but was unsuccessful.

“Enquiries continue to identify the driver and we would appeal for anyone with information to contact police on 101.”

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters