Login Register

Castle Cary fire station ploughed into by learner driver

By Shepton Mallet Journal  |  Posted: December 10, 2013

Castle Cary fire station ploughed into by learner driver

A WOMAN who had been drinking when she ploughed her car into the wall of Castle Cary fire station tried to run away from the scene when she realised what she had done.

Leanne Wadman was only a provisional driver and had no insurance when she got behind the wheel of her new car which she had only bought the previous day.

When police were called to the scene of the crash in Millbrook Gardens they searched the area and found the defendant and a male friend who they chased into a nearby churchyard.

When she was arrested the defendant was breathalysed and found to be more than one and a half times the drink drive limit, Somerset Magistrates were told.

Wadman, aged 24, of King Street, Yeovil, pleaded guilty to driving a Citroen Saxo in Castle Cary with excess alcohol on September 28.

She also admitted charges of driving without due care and attention, without a licence or insurance and failing to stop after an accident.

Emma Chetland, prosecuting, said that police received a call just before 3.30am from a witness saying a car had driven through a barrier and into the wall of Castle Cary fire station.

“The occupants had been seen to walk away and when officers attended the location they saw a man and a woman walking away from the collision,” she said.

“On seeing the police vehicle they ran into a nearby churchyard and when the police chased them they caught up with them and Wadman was arrested.

“They went to the fire station and found the car which had sustained heavy damage to the front and was embedded into the wall and the owner was found to be Wadman.”

She was breath tested at the roadside and failed and after being taken to Yeovil police station took a blood test which produced a reading of 121mlg of alcohol in 100ml of blood. The legal limit is 80mlg of alcohol. During interview she admitted all the offences.

The court heard that the damage to the fire station was estimated to be in the region of £10,000.

Defending solicitor Neil Priest said that the car was purchased for Wadman by a friend and she had only had it for about four or five hours before the incidient.

“She made a very silly decision in her exuberance of having her own car, and without insurance and only on a provisional licence she took it out for a drive,” he said.

“This one bad decision led to a number of offences being committed but she was honest and candid with the police and admitted what she had done.

“It was very fortunate that no one was injured and also a great shame that she collided with the fire station.”

The magistrates told Wadman the fact that she had caused serious damage and had left the scene were aggravating features in the case.

They adjourned all the matters until January 10 for a pre sentence report to be prepared by the probation service.

Until then the defendant was released on unconditional bail and an interim driving ban was also imposed.