Aggrieved bus passengers in the Wincanton, Castle Cary and Bruton areas could be given a welcome lifeline.
Last month,South West Coaches announced it would axe 13 of its regular services by the end of November.
However, at a public meeting held in Wincanton last Wednesday, more than 60 passengers heard some of the most popular routes could continue to run – as excursions.
This could mean passengers who have a free bus pass will have to pay the price of a full fare.
Regular bus user Brian Chambers, of Horsington, welcomed the proposal.
He said: "I would certainly be interested – it is better than having no service at all.
Among the 13 routes set to be scrapped is the number 28 from Templecombe to Salisbury, which passes through Wincanton and a number of villages.
Lewis Trahar, service manager at South West Coaches, said a questionnaire had been distributed to their drivers and within the local community to gauge the potential demand for excursion services.
For the latest developments and more reaction, see Thursday's Wincanton, Bruton and Castle Cary edition of the Western Gazette.