Login Register

Bath United claim first Aviva A League win over London Wasps A

By Western Daily Press  |  Posted: September 26, 2012

Comments (0)

Bath United recorded their first victory of the Aviva A League season with a bonus point 22-18 win over London Wasps A at Henley.

Tries from Semesa Rokoduguni, Alex Brown, and Chris Cook, along with a penalty try and conversion from Ollie Devoto secured the win.

Wasps A took an early lead through a penalty from Will Robinson.

Bath hit back with an interception try from wing Rokoduguni.

The home side hit back soon after, as captain Chris Mayor went over out wide. Robinson added to the conversion to take back the lead, 10-5. Robinson made it 13-5 with a penalty.

Just before half-time University Scholar Brown latched on to an inch perfect cross field kick from Devoto to touch down and make it 13-10.

Cook went over for the third Bath try ten minutes after the break.

When another penalty went with the visitors at the scrum, the call was made to kick to touch, gaining them a good position deep in the Wasps 22. The lineout led to another scrum, and, when Wasps again felt the pressure, the referee awarded the penalty try. Devoto added the extras, giving United at nine point lead, with 14 minutes to go.

Wasps secured the losing bonus point with the last play of the game, as Jack Wallace bundled over following a lineout, but United had the victory and the bonus point.

Gloucester United held on to their unbeaten record in the A League with a 38-34 win over Leicester Tigers.

A massive effort up front in the scrum was backed up by the calm play of Tim Taylor at fly-half, who slotted 18 points with the boot.

He began with two early penalties. Drew Locke and Ian Clark combined down the left flank for the centre dive over for the game’s first try. Taylor converted.

Gloucester scored again with a penalty try.

Matt Cornwell kicked a Leicester penalty to make it 20-3 after 24 minutes.

Billy Burns scooped up a loose ball to sprint home for Gloucester’s third try.

Leicester centre Javiah Pohe replied with a try.

Home scrum-half Brad Field was yellow carded but the home team held out.

Leicester rallied after the break. Flanker Richard Thorpe got them a try from a rolling maul to reduce the deficit to 25-13 before Field returned to the action.

Reynolds dived over in the right hand corner for Gloucester’s bonus point try. Taylor converted.

Henry Purdy got the Tigers a try. Cornwell’s conversion made it 32-20.

Taylor kicked a penalty but Thorpe made it 35-27 with a Leicester try.

Taylor again calmed things down with his fourth penalty but the Tigers had the last word as lock Rob Andrew twisted his way to the line.

Read more from Western Daily Press

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters