Login Register

Bath City go top after victory over Billericay Town

By Western Daily Press  |  Posted: September 03, 2012

Comments (0)

Charlie Griffin grabbed a goal in each half as Bath City overcame Billericay Town 2-1 to climb to the top of the fledgling Blue Square Bet South table.

Glenn Poole briefly levelled the scores with a second-half penalty, but City recovered to make it three wins from three at Mayday Trust Park in the early weeks of the campaign.

Following Salisbury’s defeat at Chelmsford, Adie Britton’s side now lead the way at the top on goal difference ahead of Dorchester, the only side to beat them this season.

The home side were on top from the off and only a goal-line clearance from Billericay captain Rob Swaine prevented Kurtis Guthrie giving them the lead inside two minutes.

Griffin gave the home side the lead six minutes before the break. Adam Connolly played a superb long ball over the top and Griffin outpaced Swaine before lifting the ball over the advancing Dale Brightly from the edge of the box.

In the second half, Guthrie’s trickery brought a clumsy challenge from Swaine in the box, although only a goal kick was awarded by referee Stephen Daly, while a powerful Griffin strike needed Chris Wild’s block to keep it out.

Bath were made to pay for their failure to make their openings count when Glyn Garner gifted Billericay the chance to level the scores just before the hour mark. The City stopper raced from his line, but was beaten to the ball by Marc Charles-Smith and only succeeded in hauling him to the floor, allowing Poole to fire home the resulting spot-kick.

The hosts were not to be denied their victory, however, and Griffin restored their advantage with a brilliant effort ten minutes later, curling an unstoppable shot past Brightly and into the top corner.

Bath travel to Salisbury for a top of the table clash tomorrow evening (7.45pm).

Read more from Western Daily Press

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters