Login Register

Bath City end barren run with win at Tonbridge Angels

By Western Daily Press  |  Posted: October 22, 2012

Sean Canham scored twice for Bath City

Comments (0)

Sean Canham and Chris Allen scored two goals apiece as Bath City stormed to their first win under new boss Lee Howells.

The 4-3 victory at Tonbridge Angels was the club’s first Blue Square Bet South success since the beginning of September.

Bath had to survive a late scare after Tonbridge scored two goals during ten minutes of injury-time, but the result should give City a massive confidence boost.

Josh Low played a crucial role in the opening goal, which came against the run of play after an opening spell totally dominated by the hosts.

Low show great tenacity to win the ball on the right and whip in a cross that Angels skipper Gary Elphick on the hand.

Canham’s penalty was poor and easily saved by Lee Worgan, but Low reacted quickest to the rebound and showed good awareness to square the ball for Canham, who this time found the net from six yards.

The Tonbridge goalkeeper was then powerless to prevent Chris Allen’s shot finding the bottom corner of the net as City doubled the lead from another set-piece.

Bath started the second half looking dangerous on the counter-attack and Low earned a second penalty.

Allen this time made no mistake as he found the bottom-left corner after sending the goalkeeper the wrong way.

Angels gave themselves a glimmer of hope with 21 minutes remaining when Frannie Collin rose highest to head home an inviting cross from strike partner George Purcell.

However, the three-goal cushion was quickly restored with a lovely finish from Canham. Adam Connolly won possession in midfield and fed the striker, who drilled a left-footed shot home.

At the other end, Glyn Garner was called into serious action for the first time as he flung himself to his left to claw a rising strike.

Canham was denied the chance of a hat-trick when he was replaced with five minutes to go by Brad Norris, but the points looked well and truly in the bag by then.

However, Angels had other ideas and Elphick scrambled home from a free-kick in injury-time before, with 95 minutes on the clock, Aaron Gayle headed in a corner from close range.

The hosts also won two late free-kicks, the first of which they claimed hit a City hand and the second of which was tipped over by Garner.

Read more from Western Daily Press

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters