FOOTBALL: Bristol City are hoping to complete the loan signing of Peterborough striker Tyrone Barnett. The clubs have reached agreement on a loan deal for the 28-year-old to join City until the end of the season if he passes a medical examination at Ashton Gate tomorrow. He could join his new team-mates for training on Wednesday and make his debut in Saturday’s League One fixture at Bradford. Peterborough paid Crawley £1.2 million for Barnett’s services in May 2012, but he has made just 30 starts in that time, although he has scored seven times this season. Ipswich Town are also reported to be interested in taking Barnett, who had a short loan spell at Portman Road last season, but the former Macclesfield trainee jumped at the chance to join City instead.
FOOTBALL: Ian Holloway has been appointed Millwall manager, the club have confirmed on their Twitter feed. The former Crystal Palace and Bristol Rovers boss, who left Selhurst Park in October, has agreed a two-and-a-half year contract. A club statement read: "Millwall Football Club can confirm that terms have been agreed with Ian Holloway for him to become new manager following the departure of Steve Lomas on Boxing Day. Ollie is set to take up his new position this week and will be in charge of the team for the Championship fixture at Huddersfield Town on Saturday.”
RUGBY UNION: Rugby stars seeking new contracts can now promote themselves through a virtual shop window. An online list of out-of-contract stars has been launched to help English-based players secure new deals in professional rugby. The Rugby Players Association has set up the RPA Free Agent List, to detail which players’ contracts expire at the end of the season. RPA chairman and Gloucester lock Will James said: “We believe this is yet another step in giving our members an enhanced opportunity to secure contracts for the coming season. Last year over 60 players did not have their contracts renewed for a variety of reasons, so we see this Free Agent List as a great shop window for clubs to approach players within the six-month window that started on January 1."
CRICKET: Somerset opener Nick Compton is determined to push his claims for an international recall in the wake of England’s Ashes mauling. Compton was dropped by England prior to last summer’s home series against Australia to make way for Joe Root at the top of the order and the Somerset batsman was then overlooked for the tour Down Under. However, the 30-year-old, who has scored two centuries in his nine Test appearances, is now “desperate” to catch the selectors’ eyes again as English cricket looks for answers following a traumatic 5-0 whitewash. Writing in his column in the Daily Express, Compton said: “So just what do England do next? I guess that is the question all supporters will be asking after a massively disappointing Ashes series. As one of those hoping to regain a batting spot this summer, I intend to get my head down and make plenty of runs. I am desperate to prove how hungry I am to fill one of those top-three spots alongside Alastair Cook."
ROWING: London Olympic silver medallist and former world champion Rob Williams has announced his retirement from rowing in order to concentrate on a career in the City.
TENNIS: British number one Laura Robson’s return to tennis at the Hobart International was ended when she retired from her first-round match against Yanina Wickmayer due to injury. The 19-year-old won the first set 6-4 but, after serving a double fault to gift her Belgian opponent an early break in the second, she pulled out of the match.
FOOTBALL: Referee Mark Clattenburg has been cleared of misconduct by the Football Association following a complaint from Southampton. The club had complained about comments allegedly made by the match official to Southampton’s England midfielder Adam Lallana.
PENTATHLON: Double Olympian Sam Weale has announced his retirement from modern pentathlon with immediate effect. Weale finished 10th on his Olympic debut in Beijing in 2008 and followed it up with a 13th place in London in 2012.
SPORT: Michael Schumacher’s condition remains stable but critical and he is under constant monitoring at the Grenoble hospital following a skiing accident on December 29, his manager has confirmed. The seven-time Formula One world champion has undergone two operations as neurosurgeons removed blood clots and reduced swelling, with the 45-year-old in an artificially induced coma.